Sunday, May 9, 2010

Emma

Dear Emma,
On March 31st you made me a Mommy and today I celebrated my first Mother's Day with you.  I look forward to all I will teach you just like my Mom has taught me so many things along the way.  Today I have reflected on the journey that it took for you to get here:
It took...
-Daddy and I nearly 4 years of marriage to decide to add to our family.
- 20 weeks for us to find out you were a girl.
- 39 weeks 1 day for you to decide to make your arrival.
- 4 hours and 16 minutes from the time my water broke to the time you were in the world outside of my womb.
- Over an hour for you to be whisked away from us to the nursery before they came back with the news you had CDH.
- Almost an hour to get to the University of Virginia where you had been transported.
 - A couple hours before they had you stable and settled in the NICU so we could see you.
- A week to see you eyes.
- A week for your surgery.
 - 4 hours for surgery to be done and completed
- 16 days before we could hold you.
- 32 days before we could bring you home.
- Nearly 6 weeks before we could introduce you to your sister.
But through all of this wait I realized that it took me less than 1 second to fall in love with you.
Everyone comments to me that I am a strong woman with what I have been through.  I wouldn't be the woman that I am without the help of your Pop Pop and Grammy.  They have taught me and instilled great values and strength in me and I hope I will teach you the way they taught me.  I worry about you each minute of each day and I always will.  This worry is what assures me that I am a Mommy now and my life is forever changed.
Thank You Peanut for an amazing 1st Mother's Day.
I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK - FOREVER AND EVER,
LOVE,
MOMMY