Monday, April 26, 2010

25 Days

Dear Emma,
The minute we found out you were going to be added to our family we knew our lives were going to change.  My pregnancy quickly passed by and before we knew it we found out we were going to add another little girl to our family.  Daddy wondered how he would survive in a house with 2 daughters and I couldn't wait to start buying pink stuff.  Regardless we both were over the moon that things were going so well.  We had waited so long to add to our family and felt blessed it had finally happened.  
The day you were born, our lives changed and they changed in a matter of minutes.  You were taken to the nursery for a little extra oxygen.  Only problem was they didn't bring you back to us.  Instead they brought news that you had to be rushed to UVA to the NICU.  Mommy cried and asked "Why us?" and "What did I do wrong?" and Daddy stayed strong to hold his emotions in to be there for me.  They let us go to the nursery to see you and emotions took over both of us.  You were beautiful and the spitting image of your big sister.  The tubes and machines got the best of Mommy and life seemed so fragile at this point.  Next thing we knew you were in the incubator and getting ready to be transported to UVA.  
Once at UVA it was determined you would need surgery.  We then waited a week for surgery and then waited an eternity for the surgery to be completed.  You came out like a star and recovered amazingly.  You recently moved from A Pod(where the sicker babies are located) to E Pod(where the babies with minimal support are located).  We rolled your bassinet over there and everyone cheered as you passed.  You had your first graduation - A NICU Graduate.  Daddy and I had such anxiety about you moving, but learned that you would continue to be a star in E Pod.
Now we are faced with the challenges of feedings.  You are putting forth all you can, but the feedings are just winning.  At this point the feedings are all that hold you from going home.  We keep telling you that while the NICU is nice, our house isn't half bad either.  All day everyday we continue to pray that one day you will show us all that you can take the entire feeding by mouth.
Today in reading an article I was hit with the realization that you fall in that CDH Survior category with all of the other babies who survived being born with CDH.  I thank God that you are a survivor.  I also have complete faith that God blessed Daddy and I with you for a reason.  We think that it might be to gain one more family to be advocated for CDH, I mean come on you were an undiagnosed case and were born on CDH Awareness Day.  Regardless of why I am thankful for everything about you. 
Thank you for all you have taught me during our 25 days in the NICU thus far Emma.  You have showed me that is okay to lean on people and be scared, that family and friends can help you through good times and bad, that your Daddy is an amazing husband and supporter, not to sweat the little things in life, and that while we haven't had the typical bonding experience you know I am your Mommy and that I love you dearly.  
Keep working on those feedings so we can take you home baby girl.
Thank You for the Joy you have brought to my life.
I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK - FOREVER AND EVER,
LOVE,
MOMMY