Thursday, April 8, 2010

Just A Quick Update

Well tonight is going to be a quick update.  Mommy is starting to feel the sleep deprivation kick in.  My baby might be in the NICU, but I am up pumping throughout the night and Daddy and I go to visit early and leave late each day.  Emma had a good day today.  She was asleep for most of the day and I would be too after having a big surgery the day before.  He stomach was a little puffy and bruised, but this is from having her bowels and other organs moved around and put in the right place yesterday.  She still has her chest tube in and it is draining away.  The doctors are pleased with her incision.  She is still being weaned off the machine that they tried to wean her off of last night.  Today they have been weaning that machine by small increments rather than all at once.  Her one pain medicine has been lowered and her blood pressure medicine has also been lowered.  She is currently needing to be anywhere between 21 - 30 on her ventilator for oxygen (we are at 21 breathing room air).  Her new trick today is to blow spit bubbles.  I don't like when she does it, but have been reassured that it is just fine.  She is doing it because she has extra build up in her mouth and can't swallow because of the tubes that are in place.  It seemed as though tonight she was using it as an attention getter.  Her nurse would come over and suction her each time she built up too many bubbles.  Again we are learning that our baby girl likes to be the center of attention.
I had the realization today as I sat by Emma's bedside that she will be at least a month old when we take her home.  This made me pretty sad, but I am so thankful for the superb care that she is receiving in the NICU.  I realize it is the dream of every Mommy and Daddy in the NICU to be able to take their baby home quickly, but is rarely a reality.  Continue your prayers for our little fighter.  Hoping to add pictures tomorrow and maybe a new video.  Daddy and I are off to try and get a little sleep before we wake up bright and early to head off to see Emma.